Instructions for LAC/Non-USC/Non-CHLA Researchers:
If you plan to conduct research at USC and have a USC NetID, please Login with USC NetID and your iStar account will be created automatically with your Shibboleth login.
If you plan to conduct research at USC/LAC and do have a USC NetID, complete the form below and submit it by clicking on the "Register" button.
Following verification of your information (usually between 24-48 hours), your account will be activated and you will get an email with your login and password.
For the required email address, please use a business/university email address (if you have one).
If you are a Volunteer or an Outside Collaborator, select "Volunteer" for both Position Type and Associated Dept/Division and put "N/A" for Employee ID.
USC Training Requirements
- Human Subjects Training taken through the CITI (Collaborative IRB Training Initiative) program is mandatory for Principal Investigators and Key Personnel conducting human subjects research. All key personnel involved with a study are required to complete this online training program. Confirmation of educational certification will be required prior to the approval of research projects submitted to the IRB. Please see the current information regarding CITI training at USC on the OPRS (Office for the Protection of Research Subjects) website.
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) is also taken through the CITI (Collaborative IRB Training Initiative) program; it is mandatory for Principal Investigators and Key Personnel conducting Full Board clinical trials research. For more information about GCP training requirements at USC, please visit the OPRS website.
- You can complete CITI training before obtaining an ISTAR account. The CITI and ISTAR systems operate independently of one another. Any CITI questions, please contact the USC CITI Help Desk at (213) 821-5272 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) training is a requirement for all faculty, USC/staff employees, students, volunteers, agents, and other certain individuals who have access to patient health information (PHI). This course can be taken online through the USC Office of Compliance website. For more information about HIPAA requirements at USC, please visit the OPRS HIPAA page.
If you have already completed any of the training referenced above and need it to be added to your iStar account, you can attach the certificates in a PDF format and send it via email to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate that you want the certificates added to iStar profile.
Instructions for CHLA Researchers (This includes volunteers conducting research at CHLA):
- In order to obtain an iSTAR account, CHLA-affiliated individuals must first compete initial training in human subjects protections through CITI (Collaborative IRB Training Initiative). Please consult the CITI Registration and Login Instructions for CHLA Researchers manual below before you register with the CITI website. When you are ready to register with CITI, please go to http://www.citiprogram.org/.
- Depending on the type of research you will be conducting, please select either Basic course – Biomedical –or– Basic Course – Social/Behavioral. If you will be conducting both types of research, please complete both courses. CITI courses are composed of modules and any modules that are in both courses will only need to be completed once.
- When you successfully pass your CITI course(s), a report will automatically be sent to the CCI office. Your iSTAR account will be created in 1-2 weeks and you will receive instructions (via email) from the iSTAR helpdesk on how to login. Please only contact the CCI office if 2 weeks have passed since you completed your course and you have not received your login instructions. The CHLA IRB office may be reached at (323) 361-2265.
| The following instruction manual contains information about how to register as a new user on the CITI website. These instructions pertain to CHLA staff and volunteers only.